Friday, July 6, 2012

I know, I know, I’m behind


I have said to Chris a number of times, “I should update the blog” and then I don’t. I blame it on the fact that I update from the laptop where all the photos are kept and I’m mainly on my iPad. Oh, and that I’m busy watching the girls cuz that’s what I’m supposed to be doing while on mat leave right?

May 2012:

We went to African Lion Safari on May 4. Aurora loved the animals!!! She and Chris were egging the monkeys on, both of them saying “come here monkey, come here” to try and get them onto our car. I was hella nervous they would climb on (the car infront of us had 3 monkeys on it and 1 peed) but luckily we got out of there unscathed. We’re pretty sure that Aurora’s favourite animal is the elephant so it was no surprise that she talked about the elephant show for weeks afterwards. Even still she’ll talk about an elephant painting because that’s what 1 did. I’m pretty sure she thinks all elephants paint. The trip would have been made better by some warmer weather, no tantrums from Aurora, and Sophie’s silence in the car but what can you do?






































For Mother’s Day I got a new pair of running shoes which I desperately needed. I got the ones I wanted too, how did Chris know? Of that’s right, I went shopping for them :) We went out to dinner which was a disaster with a baby and toddler and no reservation but in hindsight I appreciated the efforts Chris made.  And spending time with my little family is always nice.
















On May 23 Sophie participated in her first (and second) research study for the University of Toronto, Mississauga campus, in the Infant and Child Studies Centre. Aurora has participated in quite a few of these studies as well. She even got a certificate deeming her a Juniour Scientist as well as a toy.

















May 31st marked mine and Aurora’s birthdays. We went out for lunch, ordered dinner in, and Aurora and I both got to open a present. I got an awesome, totally over-the-top, new camera (you’ll see a difference in the quality of my photos from this date forward) along with a carrying case for it from Chris and the girls, and Aurora opened Sophie’s gift which was a Zooble. We left the rest of her gifts for her party, which was on June 2. And this is a perfect segue into June.




















June 2012:

June 2 was Aurora’s 2nd birthday party. Our theme this year was Elmo, as she’s absolutely obsessed with him (or was. She seems to have moved onto Toopy and Binoo, or as she calls them “Toopys and Binoo”). We had an Elmo balloon, Elmo banner, Elmo crackers, Elmo plates/napkins/tablecloth, Elmo fruit and veggie bowls, and the best of all, Elmo cupcakes. We played a few Elmo’s World inspired games for the kids, had pizza, ate our cupcakes (Aurora did awesome blowing her candle out!), and Aurora opened her presents. As always she was spoiled; money, doll house, clothes, Leap Pad, Zoobles, and a bike (from Mommy and Daddy). She had a great time, as did her cousins who couldn’t stop talking about the party. Happy 2nd birthday Aurora, you’re such a big girl and loved very, very much!


































June 10 was our 6 year wedding anniversary. Keeping with the traditional gifts (candy or iron for 6 years), I made Chris a candy bouquet and he got me a giant personalized cookie. What a sweet anniversary!!! My brother and sister-in-law, Randy and Alex, watched the girls and we went to a movie (Snow White and the Huntsman – very good!) and dinner.  It was nice to spend the time alone as we don’t get to do it often.














On June 11th the girls and I went with my sister, Danna, and nephew, Zachary, to the Toronto Zoo. Aurora absolutely loved it!!! She is very interested in animals lately. Again, her favourite was the “ephelant” but she also talks about the polar bears a lot (maybe because 1 is named Aurora???). She recounted all the animals she saw that night to Chris before bed, and even still asks me what we saw. Sophie did amazing and was probably the best behaved out of all the kids. It was a long day but well worth it to see how excited the kids were. And I was pretty darn excited to see the polar bear cub, the white lions (although I couldn’t differentiate them from the regular ones), and the penguins!






















On June 16th Aurora and I had a Mommy-Daughter date and went to the Flower City Parade (aka Brampton Parade). Aurora thoroughly enjoyed all the flowers on the floats, as well as all the bands. She waved at everyone that passed. At the end she asked for more music. We finished the date with some ice cream – yum!















For Father’s Day I made a DAD photo collage for Chris, and took a photo of Aurora holding a “D”, Sophie holding a “D” and both of them holding an “A” and then assembled it in a frame. It’s now proudly on display on his desk at work. The girls also got him a Toronto Blue Jays hat. We ordered dinner in that night.















Sophie continues on solids and has only turned her nose up at mashed potatoes. How is it that both my kids don’t care for potatoes??? She gets upset if we’re eating at the table and she’s not, so I’m back to eating my food cold once I’m doing feeding her (really enjoy that Aurora can feed herself now).  She’s in the 90th percentile for height and 50th percentile for weight, as of her 6 month check on June 4. She can move backwards and in a circle and can get up on her hands and knees, but hasn’t figured out forward motion yet. She can get from her tummy to sitting and uses that as a mode of transportation.





















Aurora’s vocabulary astonishes us on a daily basis (just the other day I said to Chris “I didn’t know she knew that word” – it was ticklish). The terrible 2s started even before she turned 2 and I deal with tantrums pretty much on a regular basis. They’re worse if she doesn’t nap, and she’s never been a good napper, so some days are pretty tough, but then she does something cute or sweet and I forget about it. She’s between the 90th and 95th percentile for her height and 75th percentile for her weight as of her 2 year check up on June 4. Yup, we have some tall girls on our hands!























No comments: